Hi there.  Cake Newbie with a newbie question.  Trying out the
validation described in the Data Validation section of the Cake
Cookbook (http://manual.cakephp.org/view/125/data-validation).  I set
up a simple validation to test: require email field to be well-formed
email address based on the 'email' validation rule (see below):

<pre>
class User extends AppModel {

// name model
        var $name = 'User';

// simple validation rules example
        var $validate = array('email' => 'email');
}
</pre>

When I submit a new user with a bad email address via my "register"
form, I get no feedback telling me the address is invalid, and the
record submits successfully to the database.  I've also tested this
minLength, maxLength, between, and alphaNumeric validation rules to no
avail.

None of my logs show anything to indicate why the validation step is
being skipped.  The only "validation" errors I've gotten so far have
been directly from the database (MySQL) when I've tried to submit a
duplicate record (sql error 1062).

What might I be doing wrong to cause the validation function to fail?