Use vendor branching - then every revision of your app has the
appropriate Cake core, and you can easily handle updates / deletes to
Cake core files, even those in the app folder.

Felix has a good screencast for using vendor branching.
http://www.debuggable.com/posts/screencast-using-vendor-branching-and-cakephp:480f4dd6-6cac-44cb-b685-4d6bcbdd56cb