I am in the process of rewriting my site from 1.1 to 1.2 and trying to
utilize the built in components whenever possible but I am unsure
about the security component.   In my first app I built my own
functions to do this -- authenticate user, hash passwords, etc. Is
that pretty much all the security component gives me? What are the
benefits versus using my own functions? Is the security component
required to use any other components? I guess my biggest hang up is
how I salted and hashed my passwords versus how the security component
seems to do it which is just slightly different. If I switch I am
going to have to get users to recreate their passwords.