Actually, you may run into problems with this:

var $validate = array(
        array(
                'rule' => array('validateUnique', 'email')
        ),
);

function validateUnique($fieldValue, $fieldName) {
        if (!$this->isUnique($fieldName)) {
                return false;
        } else {
                return true;

When you have multiple models linked that have the same field names
with validation rules (e.g. two models with 'name', both of which have
validation rules), using this method doesn't properly prefix the field
names and you may get an SQL error about ambiguous column names in
certain circumstances.

Here's what I ended up using:

var $validate = array(
        'name'          => array(
                'minlength'     => array('rule' => array('minLength', 2)),
                'unique'                => array('rule' => array('isUnique')),
                'required'      => array('rule' => array('custom', '/.*/'),
'required' =>
true, 'on' => 'create'),
                'nonEmpty'      => array('rule' => array('custom', '/.*/'),
'allowEmpty'
=> false)
        )
);