i've done some tests and a simple one is in core.php :

        Cache::config('default', array('engine' => 'File',
         'path'=>
realpath(dirname(__FILE__) .DS.'..'.DS.'tmp'.DS.'cache'.DS.'fr'.DS)
         ));

and when i look into my /home/foxmask/www/tmp/cache/fr/ directory (in
views/persistent/models) everything is still empty.

here it's clearly a bug...