> If you wanted to add TLS support, one option is to download the Swift Mailer
> class (which has support for TLS) and modifying the email.php component to
> use it.
That is the best option - i did that myself for one project.
MyEmailComponent extends EmailComponent
and put the swiftmailer logic there ( for ex in the __swift function)
and use $this->MyEmail->sendAs = 'swift';

I used SwiftMailer for it's ability to handle larg batches of emails etc
greets,

--
Marcin Domanski
http://kabturek.info