The subversion.config file can be found by going to TortoiseSVN-
>Settings, and clicking Edit.

I appended the cake SVN config info from above onto the end of the
original file, taking care to first comment out the orignal SVN
[miscellany] and [auto-props] sections, as the cake svn config file
replaces them.

I put a cake style file header template into one of my code files,
like this:

/*
 * @package                     className
 * @subpackage               subclassName
 * @author                        $Author$
 * @version                       $Revision$
 * @modifiedby                 $LastChangedBy$
 * @lastmodified                $LastChangedDate$
 */

Then I committed.

I checked out a fresh working copy hoping to see the keyword
substitution take effect, ... alas no substitution took place.

Any ideas?

I remember hearing somewhere that the substitution only takes place
for newly created files, not existing ones. Is this correct?