Thanks for the feedback.  I will add some database functionality to it
as well.

One problem I am coming across is that many of my users are all in the
same office with identical IP addresses.  So if one user makes 5
unsuccessful attempts, I run the risk of locking out everyone else in
the office.

I'm thinking that I can have a session based lockout set at 5, but
then make a database lockout with a much higher limit to compensate
for the fact that many users could all enter wrong passwords within a
week's time.  Even if the limit is as high as 100, I still think that
is very likely to combat brute force methods, which usually require
10s of thousands of entries to have any hopes of success.