http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphanumeric

In case you don't click the above link:

"Alphanumeric is a is portmanteau of alphabetic and numeric and is
used to describe the collection of Latin letters and Arabic digits
used by much of western society. There are either 36 (single case) or
62 (case-sensitive) alphanumeric characters. The alphanumeric
character set consists of the numbers 0 to 9 and letters A to Z."

I'd love for Cake to have a built-in validation rule that would
validate all Latin/Cyrillic/Asian/Arabic alphanumeric characters, but
that's pretty much impossible.

-Joel.