I agree, and I do this myself in dual-language (English/French)
localised sites.

However, I was simply attempting to illustrate to the original poster
that the 'alphanumeric' rule does exactly what it is suppsed to do, as
per the definition of 'alphanumeric'.  The regex for multibyte
alphanumeric characters is (I believe) simple enough, but you need to
ensure that the characters are UTF-8 encoded.  If you don't know the
encoding, then I have no idea how you would be able to perform the
validation rule (and if this is something that someone has done
before, I will be forever grateful if you explain how to do it), and
hence my comment on the 'impossibility' of a universal alphanumeric
validation rule.  Cake is a wonderful tool, but sometimes you need to
get your hands dirty.

If my regex-fu is still up to par, I believe /[\w\pL]/u to be the
correct multibyte regex to match alphanumeric characters.  If this is
false, please correct me.

-Joel.