The blank check metaphor is excellent. It can be a very slippery slope
when heading down the path of non-strict compliance. If we understand
the hazards and take precautions hopefully we can prevent sliding down
too far.

As far as what Nate is getting at, I think I understand him correctly
when I say that the need to move outside of strict mode comes with the
Models. Basically, if we do not comply with strict mode, we can call
models statically, with late bindings and without the need for a
separate Record class for handling data results as objects.

To put it in code, and based on some initial testing we should be able
to do:
$post = Post::create();
$post->title = "This is cool";
Post::save();

This violates strict mode because you are calling static methods on a
non static class.
Anyway, this is the best I can do to explain the scenario we have
encountered so far. Bottom line is..we do want the best framework. To
us, that means code that is cleaner and simpler. Sometimes the
benefits of such ease outweigh the costs of being completely
compliant. To be honest, I do not know 100% the inner workings of php.
My fear is that php could change and we would end up with unexpected
behavior. Also, while I do not support labels, being strict means
being "enterprise" ready. For the average developer this is not a
problem, but for larger companies looking to adopt Cake this is a
valid concern for the same reasons as the slippery slope.

There are more questions...How important is static access to models?
Should we just create instances as we do now? Would you prefer the
global access that a static class would provide?

Hope this helps the discussion. I look forward to more opinions on how
people see the use of CakePHP evolving.

Bake on.