Same here.  I struggled with the Cake component but then put my trusty
phpMailer in vendors and bingo, my emails were soon flying again.

I now cannot see the point in Cake developers spending their time on
this Email component when there are such robust, fully-featured
solutions available to be 'wrapped'.  It goes completely against the
DRY principle.  How on earth are they expecting to write,  update and
support anything better than phpMailer or SwiftMailer?

Sorry about the rant,  but I hope the Team will review the real point
of this component.  And, when they do, I hope the conclusion isn't,
"Other email libraries are just as good and better,  but they weren't
invented here".  Once the Team goes down that route,  we'll next be
having a homegrown Cake alternative to JQuery.