> From cold hard facts, no.

Joel, please forgive me but I'm a little confused by your answer.

Quite simply, is Security::cipher() a viable alternative to
mcrypt_encrypt or would it be more advisable to go the route of
mcrypt_encrypt for sensitive data in CakePHP? I have seen a helper/
component for mcrypt in the bakery. Would you recommend that over
Security::cipher() or are they both going to be about the same
considering that no encryption method is absolutely bulletproof?

Thanks,
Seth