Nate wrote:
> On Jun 20, 10:24 am, Ian Zepp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Unlike Zend (with uses an Action suffix to designate controller
>> actions), Cake doesn't have any such thing and instead uses a blacklist
>> of 'private' controller actions (defined in the dispatcher).
>
> Here at the Cake project, we tend to prefer "simple and intuitive"
> over "ugly method names" and "extra pain in the ass that I shouldn't
> have to put up with".

Wow, and I thought I was grumpy in the morning.

>> As such, be aware that new methods defined in the controller could
>> 'potentially' be called as an action, even if that is not the expected
>> behavior.
>
> Yup, if they're public methods, they should be callable.  If they're
> private or protected methods, they should be prefixed with _.  Isn't
> it awesome that you don't have to be a rocket surgeon to use Cake?

As mentioned in my other post, the prefix syntax makes sense, as long as
you use it consistently.

As an aside and off the top of my head, the session component is an area
that doesn't use it consistently:

Called from line 493 @ session.php, and defined in numerous places, are
__gc, __open, __close, __read, __write, and __destroy. These are all
private members, and prefixed as such, but called from a public static
scope.

>> My firm actually uses a full-blown domain model / pattern, and uses Cake
>> only for the active record layer, while the Business Logic is largely
>> held in a separate layout above Cake's data access.
>
> Nope.  See here: http://c7y.phparch.com/c/entry/1/art,mvc_and_cake

While an interesting read, I don't see how that applies to my statement.
The page is about combining different named actions into a single
'magic' action that auto-detects the content type and find parameters
based on the request file extension.

It doesn't seem to deal at all with my comment about the separation
between the data access layer (where the rows are received and mapped to
active record objects), the Domain Object layer (where objects are not
associated to table rows), and the Mapping Gateway between them.

For example, a Model is both an interface to a table, via the find
methods, and a single row. I should not be able to call find on a row
object.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the current Cake framework? Please
correct me if I am.