Hi!

Yes, I've been using Xaja and it is definitely an awesome library!
Ok, ok.... I'm not the best person to rate Xaja, actually, I developed
it :)

I believe that currently, Xaja is the only Reverse Ajax PHP framework
(anybody can correct me if I am wrong).
If you are looking into inserting Reverse Ajax in your web site,
first, I strongly advise you not to try doing it without using a
library.
In order to do it correctly, the Javascript to write is quite awful
(the site http://cometdaily.com/ has numerous articles on the
complexity of implementing Reverse Ajax with IE, Firefox, etc...)
So basically, start with a library, do not go in the gorry details of
Javascript unless you are willing to spend several months on it.
The easiest way for you would certainly be Xaja, but I have never
tried to integrate it with CakePHP (if you try this, I would
appreciate any feedback)
Another solution would be to use a "pure" Javascript solution, with a
special Reverse Ajax server that needs to be installed on the other
side.
You can have a look at "Orbited" or "Meteor" for those kinds of
servers.

Best regards,
David.