No, it's just a tool to auto fill / auto login based on a cookie. A
little like the browser 'remember me' function. If you're just
starting out, I'd leave the cookie bit out.

Don't be distracted by the sessions being created.

Check your users table to see that the password is being encrypted.
Also, by default, the table must have the fields 'username' &
'password' - you can change this, but why bother? It is only used
internally.

I'm not sure about the definition of isAuthorized on model - this is a
controller function as its purpose is to determine whether a user is
authorized to perform an action on that controller.

Read Chris Hartjes' excellent tutorials:
http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard/2007/09/11/a-hopefully-useful-tutorial-for-using-cakephps-auth-component/
http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard/2007/11/20/follow-up-to-a-hopefully-usefull-tutorial-for-using-cakephps-auth-component/

In fact read Chris's blog - it's better than working.