Hi there

I haven't read the article, so I am not sure whether this fits in with
whatever the article says.
I always use utf-8 as character encoding and never had any troubles
with Cake localisation.

In the views you simply use the function __() (or one of the other
translation functions)
to get the translations of your messages. Just remember to enable l10n
in the corresponding controllers.

The models are a bit more complicated, as you cannot call a function
in the declaration of a class member (the $validate array).
I simply gave the appModel a function loadValidation which is called
in the constructor. This loadValidation() function then fills the
class member $validate with the validation array.

Please note that I had to load L10n already in the bootstrap, as
otherwise the error messages always appear in the default language
(english).
I believe this is because the models are loaded before the
controllers, but I am not sure.

I use Cake 1.2.0.5427alpha

Good luck

Claudia