I believe what you are referring to is the entity-attribute-value data
model (sometimes referred to as the object-attribute-value model):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-Attribute-Value_model
This database model is actually used in Magento, an open-source
eCommerce PHP framework.

This is a highly specialized DB model that aims to solve problems
caused by data-sparseness that is common to eCommerce, whereby you
have many products (entities), each with different subsets of
attributes and corresponding values.

Cake was never designed to solve this problem, and is thus not well
suited for this type of implementation; however, Cake does not enforce
a specific DB design principle on you.  You will lose many of the
features that make Cake an attractive choice for development (ie. Auth
component, ACL, etc.), but implementing an EAV DB design is
nonetheless possible.

Just don't ask me to do it.

-J.