Hmmm ... never thought of backwards compatibility to PHP4 as a reason.
I figured since PHP5 has been out for over 4 years (first beta was
over 5 yrs ago) worrying about PHP4's support would've waned ... like,
completely dropped off.
So I'm guessing there must be some super fanciness in the Cake libs
because PHP4 does support Classes and Objects, and I'm pretty sure
PHP4 would still support the use cases previously described.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still liking Cake, was just something I was
thinking of while coding today.