Try Neutrino CMS its fantasic; that uses auth. I downloaded some time ago; I
have not used it on any projects though;   Its a working example you can
learn from

All you'd have to
> do is throw some other models and controllers on it and you'd have a
> complete web app.

I have found adding auth to a site very easy, but I baked test projects and
rebaked after mistakes.

(There is plenty of info about auth)