Hi,
Thanks for reply.  I'm not using css compression so thats not an issue.  Its
pretty much a fresh out of the box 1.3 distro.  I'm pretty certain also that
I'm editing the correct document :), e.g. when I change the font-size the
change is instanly realised in the browser on the next refresh.
Interestingly though later in the css file the background-image tags stay
intact.
So, I've just been playing around and discovered that

background-image: url('/eds/img/eder.jpg');
background-repeat: repeat-x;

does'nt get stripped out but,

background-image: url('/eds/img/eder.jpg') repeat: repeat-x;
does!!!
So, thats my breakthrough.  Thanks again.  It is strange though isn't it.
Afaik the latter is also correct css syntax or am I mistaken?  Is there any
way to stop cake from parsing the css file or at least to just pass
everything it gets without 'checking' it?