Hi Keith

Not sure you've provided enough info here,  and what we see looks a
bit confusing.
Is there also a 'documents' table?
Did you set up a join table for the HABTM?
What is the logic of having a Project belonging to a User in addition
to using a join table so that many Projects may belong to a User?
Maybe what you have written makes more sense to others,  but it
suggests to me that you probably didn't read the book.cakephp.org
carefully enough.  Have a good look again at the Models section and
then post a followup question,  bearing in mind my comments above and
we can try our best to assist you better.

Kind regards.