Oh, in a plugin... I have never tried that.
I have found a few things that have broken for me in rc3. You could
try to locate the change that broke this for you to help the core
team. It can take a bit of head-scratching but just narrowing it down
can be helpful.

You will find the tests for vendor files at the bottom of the file
configure.test.php
I didn't see any example that loaded a "file" from a plugin so you may
have a legitimate bug on your hands.

/Martin