You are lucky to hava designers to do that stuff for you... I don't at
the moment.
You are right, though, I do come a bit more from a usability and gui
background than pure code-crunching. I guess the approach varies a lot
with preference, previous experience and the surrounding team (if
any)... but also a lot on the type of application one is developing.

My current work is an application with minimal gui so far. 90% of the
requests never end up as a normal view. It is mostly an exposed API
where service-calls go in and com out the other end. I am not very
happy with the gui but since it is not really the no1 priority I can't
justify a ton of work on cool javascript effects and ajax calls. I
hope we will get to a GUI "module" soon. :)