1) I don't think it's a big problem. What about querystrings? Are you
going to restrict all unknown querystring parameters as well, because
Google doesn't ignore querystrings - just think of youtube urls and
the myriad of sites built with "non-seo" urls.

2) If you *really* need to do something, instead of issuing a 404, I
would issue as 301 permanent redirect which would help your rankings
more than a 404.