On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Rob Wilkerson <r...@robwilkerson.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Sam Sherlock <sam.sherl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would say that element would be best but because you need to model->find
>> you need to use something like requestAction
>> or
>> http://mark-story.com/posts/view/reducing-requestaction-use-in-your-cakephp-sites-with-fat-models
>>
>> as your doing a little and only want template echo'd in view and calls to
>> helpers and elements
>
> Haven't I been reading that requestAction() is generally considered a
> bad thing these days? I think I read the word "harmful" somewhere.
> Maybe on the Debuggable blog? Is that the case or is this the "proper"
> use of that technique?

The link points to some advice for *reducing* the use of
requestAction(). In any case, I think it's really a relative thing.
One has to weigh the advantages and disadvantages for using it in each
situation. I certainly wouldn't use it in several elements on a page
but I might for just one. Especially as the output can be cached.