If I understand this right, you are looking to set an "active" tab,
based on the view you are currently in...

It can be done easily from the view itself, i.e. in view_one.ctp:
$this->set('tabOne', true); (which is now going to be available in
your layout).
Therefore, in the layout you could do: <?php echo isset($tabOne) ?
'class="selected-tab"' : null; ?>