Having spent months trying to find an adequate editor for Windows, I
eventually settled on Komodo. Now I'm working on a Mac and Komodo is
available, but version 5 is so slow it's unusable. I reverted to v4,
but while it is a little quicker it is also a little unstable. It is
still slow enough  to be irritating - 2 seconds to switch tabs;
sometimes it doesn't load the plugins, sometimes it will not maximise
properly.

Okay, I'm not using a cutting edge Intel Mac, I'm on a G4 / Leopard,
but it's still a reasonably powerful machine (it'll run Photoshop and
Illustrator simultaneously without grinding to a halt).

Can anybody suggest a non-java based editor (I do not like Eclipse or
NetBeans or anything Java come to that)? I've tried Xcode, but it
seems really clunky and not at all geared to PHP. It needs to have
project handling like Komodo, code intelligence and above all, it must
be free.

Maybe a Macport of Bluefish - anybody tried that?