I have created a custom validation rule which is working as required,
but does not pass the error message to $this->validationErrors when it
is triggered.

// Model: validate rules
var $validate = array(
  ...,
  'partner_information' => array(
    'rule' => array('__validatePartnerInformation'),
    'message' => 'This field cannot be left blank'
  )
}
..

// Model: validate method
function __validatePartnerInformation($data) {
  return $this->data[$this->name]['nature_id'] == 3 && $this->data
[$this->name]['partner_information'] == '' ? false : true;
}

// View
..
echo debug($this->validationErrors);
echo $form->input('Organisation.name', array('label' => 'Name'));
echo $form->input('Scheme.partner_information');
..

I set debug to 2 when validation fails so I can echo debug($this-
>validationErrors); and whilst leaving the Organisation.name field
blank triggers and displays "this field cannot be blank" my custom
validation on Scheme.partner_information fails validation but does not
show an error message.