Update: After searching and finding someone else having a similar
unresolved problem last month (whoops - I should have searched first)
I modified my validate variable to a single 'notEmpty' rule on one
field (to take my custom rule out of the equation).

Leaving that field empty stopped the save as expected, but still
failed to pass the error message to $this->validationErrors.

My related model validation message is passed perfectly if it
triggers, could this be something to do with saveAll overwriting $this-
>validationErrors array when checking validation for my related
tables?  Grasping at straws here.

Paul.