There's never guarantees of having huge traffic but I do expect to get
a considerable amount, the number of files available will also grow to
several thousand within a year or so - there's certainly potential of
having tens of thousands of downloads per month.

This actually makes me wonder if I should be recording the date of
each - how would the DB handle reading/writing such a large table each
time someone views the details? Perhaps I should consider just
recording milestones with dates.

> > NOTE: there's a good chance I will provide an API in the future for
> > third-parties to access the file database. Would this affect the
> > design decisions now?
>
> Do you mean the model/controller, or the actual table?

There are third-parties (iPhone/Web) who could take a feed of my files
and make them downloadable directly to their own app. Exactly how this
would be programmed I'm not sure yet, this is something I've never
done before and I am also new to Cake. I guess we shall see how I
tackle that one :)