On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Mike Cook <m...@epubbooks.com> wrote:

> There's never guarantees of having huge traffic but I do expect to get
> a considerable amount, the number of files available will also grow to
> several thousand within a year or so - there's certainly potential of
> having tens of thousands of downloads per month.

Tens of thousands of updates in a month shouldn't be a problem. I know
it's all relative, but a table with several thousand records is quite
tiny, btw. There are apps out there running Postgres or MySQL that
have many hundreds of millions of records. And, which have tens of
thousands of updates in a day, if not an hour.

> This actually makes me wonder if I should be recording the date of
> each - how would the DB handle reading/writing such a large table each
> time someone views the details? Perhaps I should consider just
> recording milestones with dates.

If you're using MySQL, you could consider the innodb engine. The
myisam engine is very fast for reading but innodb is better suited to
lots of updates. However, if you just want to insert a record for each
download that's made, myisam should be fine. I doubt you'd see any
performance difference between inserting a new record into a
doewnloads table (because you want to store each individual datetime)
or updating/incrementing a field in the files table.

>> > NOTE: there's a good chance I will provide an API in the future for
>> > third-parties to access the file database. Would this affect the
>> > design decisions now?
>>
>> Do you mean the model/controller, or the actual table?
>
> There are third-parties (iPhone/Web) who could take a feed of my files
> and make them downloadable directly to their own app. Exactly how this
> would be programmed I'm not sure yet, this is something I've never
> done before and I am also new to Cake. I guess we shall see how I
> tackle that one :)

It would still need to go through your controller to get the file.