I'm having the same problem and I'm curious what solution you come up
with. I haven't taken the time to play around with it yet but am
wondering if you can just make the AJAX pages return some specific
text that will indicate that you're logged out. Then maybe you can
have an AJAX callback analyze the response and redirect if necessary.
That seems a little hackish so I'm wondering if there's a better way.

Thanks,
Jon