I found out the problem.

MAMP comes with its own PHP (reside in /Applications/MAMP/bin/...)
Mac OS X has its own PHP (reside in /usr/var/bin/..)

So, when I run the 'cake bake', it is using the Mac OS X default PHP
with its php.ini instead of the one that came with MAMP (this one is
all configured fine).
Hence, I had to add the path to MAMP's PHP...not sure if this would
affect me in the long run when I don't use MAMP and do need actually
default PHP on Mac OS X.