I have to disagree with Brennen about one thing.

For security reasons, it is recommended to have most of CakePHPs file
(the core) *above* the webroot.

Your servers (site's) document root should point to cake/app/webroot.
That is where you should drop Joomla.

visiting localhost/  would then show cake  localhost/about_us   would
show your static page

visiting localhost/joomla would then show Joomla.

Just mixing joomla files into the webroot directory (as your second
example above) would be troublesome because both the cake index and
the joomla index will be competing. In your case it looks like you
completing wrote over the cake index, which would explain the trouble.