Thanks Smelly. Actually, I did try both, and they gave me the same
result. The way I avoided the mixing of index.php page is that I
renamed index.php in cakephp to cakephp.php, and call that page in
jake component. But still exactly the same symptom. I actually tried a
few other ways, like put joomla files in a folder named joomla and put
it under webroot rather than directly copying joomla files to webroot,
etc. They all give the same error and symptom.

One thing I almost forgot and I guess is important: I suppose any
cakephp link originally in my cake application should be rewrite to a
joomla component link, right? So, in my original question, I said the
link is supposed to be "http://localhost/cake/about_us";, that's not
correct! It should actually be "http://localhost/joomla/index.php?
option=com_jake......./about_us. It seems to me that this simply
indicates jake's rewriting is wrong.

Still in need of help. Please....

Robin