I think I may have caused my self more of a headache then necessary and
would like to hear your thoughts on my set up.

On my site there are 2 different GROUPS a USER can sign up as. Each form
creates the USER and corresponding TEACHER profile (table has USER_ID) or
STUDENT profile (table has USER_ID). So when either signs up it creates a
USER and a TEACHER or STUDENT with the USER_ID being the USER ID.

I chose to break the USERS for the TEACHERS and STUDENT because the profiles
are completely different and have different validation criteria.

Now when add the Auth and ACL I want to now set it so the TEACHER or STUDENT
can edit their own contributions to the site. Where I am finding the
headache is when checking to see if the user can perform specific actions.
For example a TEACHER adds a new test the only person who can edit that test
would be the teacher who created it (among many other owner related
operation). But when the test was created it was done so by using the
teacher id and AUTH checks the User id. Now I am sure I can get the user id
front the teacher id but that seems like more work than needed because when
it comes to the STUDENT side of the site everything will have to be done the
same way to find the USER ID there as well.

Another problem is the TEACHERS have a lot of HABTM tables where they can
select SUPPLIES , BOOKS, SKILLS...etc  related to their TEST or EXAM they
create which are all related to the TEACHER thru the teacher id not the
user_id.

In theory I would like to use only the user id but in my situation is that
possible because I choose to break up my users?

Thanks for you time and insight to all...

Dave