On Mar 19, 7:05 am, Dave <d...@widepixels.com> wrote:
> Can someone tell me if this would be the correct structure for
> database table names?
>
> Everyone is a USER :which has (ID, name, password, email, group_id)
>
> USERS are broken up into 3 GROUPS (ID, name)
>
> So the USER then fits into one of the GROUPS below
>
> MANAGERS(id, user_id, name, .......)
> BUYERS (id, user_id, name, .......)
> SELLERS (id, user_id, name, .......)
>
> Now a SELLER would be selling ITEMS so when they make an ad is it
> using the USER_ID or SELLER_ID? or if
> a BUYER would be looking for  ITEMS so when they make an ad is it
> using the USER_ID or BUYER_ID?
>
> Because if I used USER_ID would that not make it more difficult later
> when a SELLER and BUYER are in the same table?
>
> Just trying to figure out if everything should be associated to the
> USER ID or use the ID based on the group they belong to?
>
> Just like a PROFILE....USER can only have one and its either as a
> BUYER or SELLER.
>
> user model::
> var $hasMany = array(
>                         'Manager' => array('className' => 'Manager',
>
> 'foreignKey' => 'user_id',
>
>                         ),
>                         'Buyer' => array('className' => 'Buyer',
>                                                                 'foreignKey'
> => 'user_id',
>
>                         ),
>                         'Seller' => array('className' => 'Seller',
>                                                                 'foreignKey'
> => 'user_id',
>
>                         )
>         );
>
> But that is not right either is it? Because the user only hasOne. Cant
> be a buyer and a seller.
>
> Can someone point out my error in thinking.

To identify a user you will always use the USER.ID

If a user can only play one role (Manager, Seller, Buyer) then you
need only a column in the USER entity to state that, for example
USER.ROLE.

If a user can play more than one role, then you need a ROLE entity and
a USER ROLE entity, where the ROLE entity contains the list of
possible roles (Manager, Seller, Buyer, etc.) and the USER ROLE entity
contains the users roles (USER ROLE.USER ID, USER ROLE.ROLE ID), one
record for each role assigned to a user.

Hope this helps you on the way :)
   John