On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM, the_woodsman <elwood.ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Brian - but I don't understand how this addresses the issue...
>
> Are you saying I can render the element twice, without bothering with
> an if statement, and it will only get echo'd once?

Sorry, I wrote it twice to point out that it can be used either way.
Not both at once ;-)

> And the real question - how do I get the value 'foo' into the layout
> from the view!? $this->viewVars is how I'm doing it currently...

Right, I was thinking that the element would be included in the
layout, not the view. But, of course, passing the var to the element
will only work if called in the view.

Looks like $viewVars is the way to proceed.