Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try in few hours.

But the main concern remains, I mean the memory (or it is me still not
getting the AJAX mechanisms).

I see that the huge list is being loaded in the called view, but when the
memory is freed?

Also, I wrote that I need a possibility to alter values of the existing
inputs of the form, based on the value of the item selected using AJAX
field.

For example, the main form contains such inputs:
 - cutter_number
 - cutter_height
 - cutter_width
 - cutter_cuts_per_height
 - cutter_cuts_per_width

AJAX form works on the model 'Cutters' which contains fields like
 - number (this is selected using the AJAX input field)
 - height
 - width
 - cuts_per_height
 - cuts_per_width

(I hope this is understandable :) )

How can I pass the other values to the original form?
I suppose it involves passing the result of $this->Cutter->find(...) to JS
array and then updating the respective ID's, but I don't have a clue
how/where to add it...

I've read description of $AJAX->form(), it says that it submits to action.
Does it mean that it is able to pass JS values to a form, instead of
posting them directly to controller? I'm unable to test it atm..

Thanks in advance for any input

Jacek