I only have a few general things to share. You have probably at least
some of this in mind already but sometimes repetition is good :)

First. It doesn't sound at all like you HAVE TO use plugins for what
you describe. Plugins in cake can basically be two things. An optional
functionality (a fractal generator is an optional image filter for
Photoshop) or a reusable sub-application (debug-kit or maybe a forum
module). You are talking about separating out your entire CMS into
small plugins which can be done but is certainly not necessary. And I
would choose to build it as one application and do the separation
later when you find you have a rating-module that you want to re-use
in more applications.

Second. It sounds like your CMS does not have a clear purpose and set
of requirements. It sounds like the one CMS to rule them all. This is
very hard to design since almost nothing will be concrete or locked
off. The answer to every design-question will be "maybe, it depends".
I think you would do yourself a favor by deciding if you are building
a blog, corporate CMS, portal software or some new hybrid. Even with a
new hybrid you need to decide what it will be and (almost more
importantly) what it will NOT be.

You might get some inspiration by looking at how Wildflower and
Neutrino (two Cake CMSes I have looked at). They are very different in
their approach but both are quite general CMSes.

best of luck
Martin