There are a lot of things to like in cakephp, but if I had to say what
aggravates me the most it's the seemingly wasteful and inefficient SQL
calls that cake makes. The first time I turned on debug = 2 I was
astounded at the close to 100 sql calls on a basic page that 1 or 2
SQL statements should have covered. It seems like when working with
find queries with tables two or more levels removed from the
originating model, all hell breaks loose as cake is unable to figure
out JOINS more than one level deep. This also makes it impossible to
set conditions on a table field that's two or more levels removed from
the original. So after first learning $uses and recursive, then
jettisoning that for "containable" behaviour, it turns out I have to
write custom SQL queries after all as soon as my app gets a little
more complicated than the beginner examples.

I think there could be some major improvements there, and I understand
they are on the way for v2; but I'm surprised this doesn't come up
more often.