Problems with linking to images css or javascript are often the result
of problems with the rewriting of urls. That is why I wanted you to
check the .htaccess files were there.

Also the fact that you had "app" as a component of your path is odd
and might have thrown Cake a bit.

But I now noticed a tiny detail in your original post. You wrote that
you got a path like ".\" (dot backslash). That does not look right
either. Paths always use forward slashes and, in my installations,
they are all output as absolute paths (starting from the website
root).

The strange part is that all the things that I know of that can cause
this kind of problem would also show themselves for your css and
javascript.