You'd probably want to take a look at CounterCache in the book; this
would require a modification (an additional field) to your
maincategories table, and a little bit of code, but would ultimately
be quicker than a separate query.  Another suggestion would be to look
at find('count') if you don't want to modify your tables, and to learn
how caching works (and use it).