Second the recc for using cron.  I used a tutorial I found at
http://blogchuck.com/?p=22

You will need to define the actions you want performed in a controller
file, then add a crontab entry to call it.  Your crontab entry will
look something like:

0 0 0 0 0 /usr/bin/php /path/to/cron_dispatcher.php controllername/
action

Check out the cron manual to see how to set the times when it runs.