My first thought, is "would it be possible to upgrade to CakePHP
v1.2.4 to possibly remove any lingering effects of an older code
base?"  My second thought is, "If upgrading is out of the question,
did you try 'baking' a very simple MVC based on a test table in your
DB that you can attempt to duplicate the issue?"

Both of these suggestions I would recommend doing on a development
machine, not on the server.