Hey,

ok these infos sound nice, the fact with the multiple read-db's is one
I haven't heard of but I'll gather all required info on that topic.

But to stay more practical, how would one realise a friend-list like
facebook or the other big networks? Is a join-table really a good
approach to realize it? If I had 100 friends, then just for ME there
would be 100 records in that table, right?

I'm not sure if I'll ever build such a network, but I'm very
interested to see how things work and how to implement such complex
structures!