On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:51 AM, McScreech<scre...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What does the double underscore represent in the following code from
> the head of the index.ctp file for the users view?
>    <h2><?php __('Users');?></h2>

__() is a function in basics.php that is used to translate strings
using the I18n class. If there's no .po file, or if the given key is
not present in the .po file, the input string is simply returned. So,
if you haven't set up internationalisation, it causes no harm. If you
have no use for I18N, and want to save a few cycles here and there,
you can strip out the PHP to change that to just <h2>Users</h2> (or
whatever).