Also, use a terminal to verify that the data is as it should be. If
all you have to work with is PHPMyAdmin, check that its pages are
using UTF-8.

It's easy, with MySQL, to import UTF-8 data that gets destroyed. If
using an import file, put the following at the top:

SET NAMES 'utf8';

And, of course, make sure that database.php has 'encoding' => 'utf8'
and that your layout has the proper character set meta tag.