Thanks for finding that one. I had not caught that before and I use
"non-english" characters all the time. Guess Iäd better slow my
application down by replacing all strtolower with the mb_ version...
and possibly if clauses and things to make sure mb is installed.

But have a look at php.net... it is possibly quicker to ask mysql to
convert to lowercase than php (oh dear). It sounds incredible and I
haven't run a test of this myself.
http://se2.php.net/manual/en/function.mb-strtolower.php

Quick rant:
It makes my blood boil every time PHP makes my jaw to drop to the
floor like this. Come on! Shouldn't this kind of thing be handled by
PHP internally? mb this and mb that. Utf8 is 8bit, single byte, is it
not? I don't have a single setting in my installation of php that
suggests I prefer 8859. Take a hint why don't you, you silly language!

BTW, why is this in the comments on php.net:
mb_strtolower($str, mb_detect_encoding($str));
Why is that not built into the function? If PHP can detect the
encoding... don't give me the option to screw it up but entering the
wrong one! I can not come up with a single situation where I would
want to make a string lowercase but do it badly and treat some
characters the wrong way. Artistic reasons? I would have liked to see
strtolower() do just that. They could have added a
artistic_encoding_reinterpretation_strtolower() so that the 99.999% of
calls to the function did what that name suggested.

end rant.

thanks again for posting this... I have some work to do :)